"Hark! A Thrilling Voice is Sounding (#345)
1. Hark! A thrilling voice is sounding!
"Christ is near," we hear it say.
"Cast away the works of darkness,
All you children of the day!"
2. Startled at the solemn warning,
Let the earthbound soul arise;
Christ, its sun, all sloth dispelling,
Shines upon the morning skies.
3. See, the Lamb, so long expected,
Comes with pardon down from heav'n.
Let us haste, with tears of sorrow,
One and all, to be forgiv'n.
4. So, when next He comes in glory
And the world is wrapped in fear,
He will shield us with His mercy
And with words of love draw near.
5. Honor, glory, might, dominion
To the Fahter and the Son
With the everliving Spirit
While eternal ages run!
~ Latin c. 5th – 10h cent; tr. Edward Caswall, 1814 – 78, alt.